Sunday, March 6, 2016

Happy Birthday Anshul

“Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all.”

As my husband turns a year older and (hopefully) wiser again this year, I write a customary letter to him, like every year. But this year is different: it’s completion of a year in Germany – a foreign land with a foreign language and with everything that wasn’t so familiar or friendly at first.

First year here, was a rush — a flood of emotions, anxieties, tears and laughter. There was a profound fear of living in a new country, and though it reduces after a while, it never completely disappears as time goes on. It simply deviates. The unrest that was once focused on how you’re going to make new friends, adjust, and master the nuances of the language gradually becomes one recurrent question “What am I missing?”  That said, too often, we focus on the needs of the mother and child, who are to settle in a new country and often forget that daddies need love and support too – for it’s a new unexplored world for them too. For us, Anshul played the glue that bonded us together, while trying to find our place in a new country, while he carried out silent acts of tenderness between the seams. I couldn’t have made it through the past year without my husband – and I can’t imagine going forward without him.

The past one year has flown by, and it feels like a drop in the bucket, doesn’t it? As I sit here, writing this for him, after yet another failed attempt at making a cup cake for his midnight celebration (It’s awful!), and my endless other failures like these, I know, I wouldn’t trade it for anything.  Also, it fills my heart with pure marvel to know that the “best” is right now; and still yet to come. Here’s a letter to my husband.

Dear Anshul,

This life time is void of matter comparable to you
But
In the past one year, I have so many words to express, what you mean to me
You are a squall of wind when I can’t breathe
We hike the world together, passing long and rigorous pine trees
Your back is a mountain, trials cannot triumph over it
Your eyes are the hurried oceans,  that calm me
You are the lone pharaoh, of our dwelling
You are a belief and assertion, when I cannot form one
You are endurance, in our marathons you run
You are still in contention, you are always here
You are strength, when I have an insolence
You are almost more than 2,980 days of the right choice
You are the pillories of why I rejoice
You are a comrade, shield, and love like no other
A toast to you, My Husband…
Shall I pour another?

Happy Birthday to you.
Love, M


Keep Reading,

Auteur 

No comments: