Saturday, May 9, 2015

I am a Mom!


I am a Mamma.
I am a builder, exploring ways to build a magical wonderland full of forts and castles in 60 seconds with bowls, spoons, plates and a pan.
I am a Master Chef, taking orders on "the fly" in order to gratify a son who wants a bagel sandwich, then pizza, then chicken wings, then omelet, then fruit mix... and then nothing at all when he decides he’s "not hungry."
I am a diplomatic negotiator, strewing classic public breakdowns using any technique needed.
I am an addict, puffy eyes and twitching, looking for the nearest caffeine dose after a long night of constantly inspecting monsters under the bed and well, sometimes over it too.
I am a ninja, refining my talents of inaudibly escaping my son’s room after bedtime story.
I am a joker, performing bizarre tricks, jokes and dances at my son’s demand.
I am a law enforcement agent, struggling to impose rules while the guilty party attempts to escape from the scene of the crime.
I am a storyteller ( that’s the best part I guess), persistently creating convoluted tales about what how Santa manages to squeeze his fat tummy through a chimney or what the Tooth Fairy does with all of the teeth she collects?   Or how the Easter Bunny visits every child’s house without getting exhausted.
I am a fashion designer, crafting Superhero costumes, spiky hair n some days and matching shoes on the other.

I am a forensic expert, scrutinizing mysterious items/stains and trying to ascertain their source.
I am a singer, required to sing “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” with full lyrics on a daily basis. And then learn some more.
I am an abstract artist, attempting to find beauty in blobs of colors, scribbled stick figures.
I am an event manager, organizing frequent play dates with my son’s friends
I am a politician, compelled to exploit bribes, marketing and prolonged dialogues to persuade my son to do the simplest of tasks.
I am a Mamma.
So are you. Cherish it.
There is not just the second Sunday of May that can express, with fierce and undaunted honesty, the sacrifices made, body changes undergone, and uncertainties that obviously sneak in, about ever getting back to where you were, who you were, and what you were doing before becoming a mother -- all while concurrently cherishing your new designation. Its complex stuff, the grey areas of human emotion, and it is all carried with grace within this beautiful ballad.
Here’s to all doting moms, especially mine, on Mother’s Day – You are a Hero!

Keep Reading
Auteur

No comments: