Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Happy 4th Birthday Ahaan



My Dear Ahaan,

And, just like that, you were undeniably four! I know it is cliché to say it seems like just yesterday you were a baby, wrapped and new, sleeping snuggly in the crook of my arms. I’m certainly not the first mom to claim that no time at all has seemed to pass between this day and the one where I eagerly looked at you to count each finger and toe in the bright light of a hospital room on 2nd October 2010 at 3.06pm.

There were most definitely days and months, years between then and now, between the days you learnt how to walk and the day you started running, between the day you uttered your first word (Baba) and the day you wrote one, but some milestones are smaller than others. I haven’t ever marked your height in pencil on the height chart every day, but you still grew! There were many days my camera sat intact, but still you grinned, you giggled, we had moments worthy of capturing.

I am happy now you’re an independent man as I don’t have to continually look down at you to guide you – we both became independent together. There were times when it was enough for me to feel the weight of your hand in mine.

If there was ever an award for the ‘Best Hugger of the World’, you would win it hands-down. I can’t get enough of your baby bear hugs and butterfly kisses that you give me every morning and especially when I get back home from work. I hope you never lose your unique capability to show love so endlessly. Your innocence and the affection that you show everyone in this family is a blessing and a gift that I will never take for granted.
This year I am gifting you a kitchen set – something that you have longed for a long time, ever since you saw it at your Naina didi’s place in US. You won’t believe how much I have had to argue with your daddy to get this one for you as I was adamant to get it for you this year. Let me tell you something now. There will be lots of people who will ask you the age old question now “ tu ladki hai kya?” (Are you a girl?). You’re too young to understand all of this gender stereotypes about children's toys and gender specific colors. But when you grow up, I am sure you will have the same questions as I have - Why should the kitchen set be considered a "girly" toy. Aren't some of the best chefs in the world men? Don't we want our boys to be caring husbands and dads? So what is the big deal with little boys wanting to play with dolls, kitchen sets and strollers? Why are the pink toys meant for little girls aimed at making them princesses in the land of all things beautiful and pink or domestic divas? Shouldn’t our little girls should be assertive, liberated and strong women one day?

I don’t have a baby girl and you don’t have a baby sister. But you know mamma and Sonal maahi grew up, helping Naanu and Naani just like boys. Sonal Maahi was never fond of cooking but today she is probably the best cook in the family we know.  Today, I love to cook for you and take care of my boys – you and daddy. But I can also figure out how to fix the chain link in a toilet tank, and I still love to paint! I am sure; you will also learn to be as compassionate, nurturing and loving as your Naani and Sonal Maahi. Playing with girly toys won’t make you a girl, my son. It will make you as powerful as one!

So, Ahaan, take in the sights, admire and appreciate the world around you, continue to point out the things worthy to pause and grasp in when I am rushing you along. (That is by far the best thing about you.) I will continue to be with you, hand-in-hand, until the day you would rather I just walk alongside you.

Happy fourth birthday, my little man.

Much Love,
Maa


Keep Reading,

Auteur 

1 comment:

Ramya said...

A very good one as usual Manasi