Monday, August 27, 2012

Being A Mommy Suits Me






Off late, many of my friends have been telling me that “Mommyhood really suits you Manasi”. Does it really? Let me think...

Some odd 22 months have passed since I graduated to becoming a mother – that’s a gigantic, gleaming new designation that’s been prefixed to my name, must say, that as a around the clock mommy, it is the most demanding occupation I have ever had. What makes it more complex is that I feel an equivalent requirement to yet be a good wife, and not renounce my zeal for writing, photography and art. So how do these functions muddle up? Are they even intended to jumble?

I used to classify these responsibilities and divide them in a manner that felt like a planned formation to me. I try to invest all my energy to have a routine and planning in my life, and would tell myself when my son wakes up, “Okay, so now I am a Mom and must do what my baby wants” and then when my son is napping again and I am with me I’d tell myself , “Okay, now I’m a writer, and this is my time to invest in work, churning out words, reading etc ” or when I’m with my husband I’d tell myself , “Okay, so now I’m a wife and must do what my husband wants.”

After some time, I grew weary of this school of thought and performing my duties so mechanically for the reason that they can’t (and shouldn’t) be entirely categorized.  With this mode of thinking, my necessity  to generate as a writer would wind up getting perturbed and consecutively I would long away the time spent with my child, in anticipation of his next snooze so I could undertake my pending writing assignments.

I comprehended that every primary role I have, overlie and interlock together to shape the person I am at the moment. Now that I’ve had this clarification, it makes my life fairly simpler. I opt now to utilize my imagination to procure significant, innovative and fun ways to spend our times together. We build blocks, we play with ball, we read books, and we discover outside, we dance together on all sorts of Jawaani Item songs together. I now believe I am contented when I’m with my son and I don’t ever wish any time away from him, considering that after a few years, he’d be too busy with other things in his life to be spending quality time with his mother. I long for his grown days ahead, when he gets grown-up and we can do all types of school assignments, fun things together. However, I will miss these carefree days, when we can do all giggling and tickling and laugh about it, acting silly in public, making faces etc.

That said, now I no more gaze at the clock and breathe for his subsequent snooze time. I’ve distorted the strokes of creativity and mommyhood just by starting to love my time with my son and emphasizing on where my job as a mommy and as a writer traverses. At times I can begin an assignment when he’s wide awake and then conclude it when he’s sleeping. Eventually, his snooze time turns out to be my active work time. I constantly have a psychological listing of things I need to do when he slumbers and I try to do whatever  I can in that time frame.

Creativeness and mommyhood are not detached units. One does not devaluate from the other and there is no evaluating one by reducing the other. It is not about pilfering time for creativeness from being a mommy and vice versa. Creativeness suffuses mommyhood, and your mommyhood paints everything about your imagination.

Bear in mind, creativeness is a universal outlook to life. It is not simply about that cooking, drawing, knitting, writing etc. - it is about the manner in which you view things. It is about being broad minded to the escapades. It is about seeking new-fangled uses for old stuff. It is about suggesting resolutions to difficulties that do seem tough. It is about perceiving splendor and significance in the humdrum. Creativeness is about learning to express what comes to your heart and mind. It is about seeking and fostering prospects. It is about nourishing your spirit with what cultivates and about sharing with people who are close to you, effectively, nourishing them too. I guess this is what it means to raise kids, too.

I guess mommyhood actually suits me.

What do you think?

Keep Reading!
Auteur


No comments: